I sit here writing this in my apartment in Toulouse, France. Where like Italy and Spain we are in total confinement for 15 days to try and combat the Covid 19 virus. We cannot leave our houses unless we have particular jobs or are going to buy food or medical supplies. Even then we need to fill in a form issued by the government to give to the police/army explaining why we are outside. It’s very surreal and quite frankly scary. For an equestrian this bizarre situation is perhaps a little worse as we are not allowed to see our horses. All stables are closed and only proprietors are able to enter and look after the horses . For us this means Mya is in good hands with Christina and Fred but it’s hard not being able to see her.
As I have 2 more weeks at least of this I have been thinking of things to entertain myself with and thought I would share them with you incase you are stuck indoors as well. None of these ideas are ground breaking but I thought I would share some of my favourite things incase you don’t know them already.
- Watch your favourite equestrian vlogs. Over the past few months I have been really getting into watching horsey vlogs. My faves include:
EM Tee Eventures following Tina and Emily who compete their horses Banksy and Lola in Eventing. Their friendship is really fun and the girls are very relatable and funny.
Elphink Event Ponies. In these vlogs you can follow Megan and her yard of amazing event ponies to their competitions. Although only being 23 years old, Megan is so knowledgeable and switched on when it comes to her ponies.
If you are like me and can speak French my fav french speaking blogger is Vicky Life. Vicky makes videos about everything to do with her horsey life and has a gorgeous horse called Soli, who she competes with in dressage. Excellent for those wanting to improve their french horsey vocabulary. I have learnt a lot from Vicky.
Non – Horsey vlogs
The Kitten Lady. As a new kitten owner myself I was introduced to Hannah the professional kitten rescuer by the couple that looked after Gwen before we adopted her. She has loads of informative videos about looking after kittens, rescuing kittens and kitten behaviour that are so helpful! If you like cats you’ll love these videos!
2. Podcasts. As you may or may not know I actually am a co-host of an equestrian podcast called Equestrian Pulse and since I started recording my own podcasts, I have gotten more into podcasts.
Here are some that I really like:
Olivia Towers podcast. Olivia is a grand prix dressage rider and podcaster/vlogger. She is very honest and open and often interviews interesting horsey people.
Small and Supercharged podcast by Rhea Freeman. Rhea is a horsey business consultant that works with equestrian businesses, bloggers and riders to help them market their businesses. The podcast gives you tips on how to use instagram for your blog or business, talks to interesting people in the equestrian world and talks about issues that everyone faces like internet trolling. Its informative and interesting for other bloggers like me or entrepreneurs that need a hand getting their biz off the ground.
Equi Ratings Eventing podcast. Talks to event riders, vets and topics related to eventing.
Non – Horsey Podcasts
Serial. Oh how I love this podcast so much! If you love true crime documentaries this is the podcast for you. This podcast looks at the case of Adnan Syed who was convicted of killing his ex girlfriend in 1999. The podcast looks at his case reexamining it as they go to try and figure out if he did actually do it.
Goal Digger. This podcast by Jenna Kutcher who is a self made millionaire. She brings you tips on being a successful social media influencer. Now this is obvs not for everyone but the episodes relating to blogging and instagram I have found really useful.
3. Colouring. Now I thought colouring for adults sounded a bit ridiculous when I heard about it a few years ago. However I was intrigued and I bought a couple of colouring books and actually found it to be really soothing. Quite frankly I don’t really have the time to do it normally, but in these weird isolated times – time is what I now have bags of and I plan to get my colour on!
4. Blog writing and vlog editing. Again this will not suit everyone but I will try and blog as much as I can whilst I have the time. I said before I am finding that my day can easily not be very productive but by simply writing a blog I feel I have achieved something and it helps my mood. I also have a vlog that I need to finish editing and publish that I will try and do by the end of the week.
5. Pamper session. Again something I don’t normally have the time to do, but at some point this week I plan to get my face mask on. I always buy a face mask from Primark when I go so have a few in the bathroom I can treat myself to. This will hopefully make me feel nice, as quite frankly if I am house bound I will be mainly staying in my pyjamas that is for sure!
6. Self learning. As my french school is shut I hope to take some time to revise what I have learnt in the last few months of my lessons. I will also sort out and organise my notes and work on things that I feel I need to relearn. You could do this with any language or course you have started and would like to continue with. Keep that brain ticking!
7. Stay fit. Now only because we can’t go out doesn’t mean we can’t exercise. I personally love the Body Coach’s HIIT sessions on Youtube. They are free and they are each 15 mins long. They are a really good work out and so easy to do at home. I will make sure I do a few a week to keep from feeling like a complete potato. There are also lots of equine specific workouts you can do to get fit for riding.
8. Stay in touch with your friends and family. Make sure you do this! No matter if you are like me and live in a different country to your family or live down the road. Just stay in touch, it’s good for you to speak to someone everyday and it’s good for them to know how you are getting on. It’s a worrying time, only because we have to not actually see each other doesn’t mean we can’t talk to each other.
9. Quaran-streaming. Lots of groups, musicians and clubs are getting together online for chats, concerts and conviviality from the comfort of your own home. Today we watched a concert by Mark Rebillet for free which he put on from his apartment in New York.
So, in this scary time please be sensible and stay at home as much as you can! Lets work together and stop the spread of this horrible virus, as it affects the most vulnerable the most.
Stay safe and take care! xxx